Monday, April 30, 2007

A Hospital Wedding















In a quiet corner of a huge hospital
is a room set apart
for worship, reflection, prayer, quiet

for any religion
to any god
and those without a god
who don't know God
but pray to Him anyways
because here
in the hospital
that is what one does.

The Sanctuary has a fire-place,
couch, chairs,
an altar,
water-fountain,
prayer-shawls, prayer-rugs
Bibles and other holy books,
prayer-journals where many
who have come there to find solace and reprieve
have poured out
their prayers, thoughts and questions
on paper for anyone and no one to read

It has high windows,
some with coloured glass overlooking another
hospital wing.

On this ledge of the opposite tall building
a familiar line of pigeons spend time perched
all blue and irridescent grey
but one is white
pure, white.

the Sanctuary has a digital piano.
I found it
one day in my break-time from caring for the baby
and sat tentatively at first
and played

Came back to visit many times...
only once or twice was someone else there.
Once, as I was playing and worshipping my God
I felt I was being watched.
Opened my eyes to see a couple standing by the door
smiling at me.

I apologized and invited them to come in and I would quit
but they encouraged me to continue
So I did.
A moment later I opened my eyes again
Now they were directly in front of me
Eyes bright with tears.
And with a request.
But first a question.
Did I work for the hospital?
No...
Would I consider playing the piano and singing for their wedding
to take place in this very hospital sanctuary
as soon as possible
because,
he is sick, and the leukemia has returned
but we want to get married now.

Emails were exchanged.
Calls made.
Arrangements set up.
And I played and sang for them
there in the sanctuary.
They shared their vows
before my God and theirs;

'In sickness and in health
til death do us part'

With an audience of loved ones
and a white dove
watching from the roof.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful story...
truly a 'God moment'
what songs did you sing?

myrrha said...

thanks, Berni;
I was singing "You Surround Me" when they first came in... ended up singing it for their wedding. :)
It was very emotional...

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - I can hardly imagine how your heart felt! By the way, a hidden poet I see! You have an incredible way with words.

Anonymous said...

So beautiful. So beautiful.

I will miss you Red.