Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A Dog's Best Friend



They say a dog is a man's best friend. But I say, a woman is a dog's best friend.




Today we laid to rest an old faithful soldier; our German Shepherd, Dok.
His grave is within sight of our kitchen window, now strewn with flowers and being covered in snow as I write.

Dok's police-dog training had served him well in obedience and drug-recovery, but he didn't have the necessary aggression and boldness for police work. After two separate training modules, the Canine Police Dept. decided at 18 months old he would have early retirement.

I confess that when we bought him from the police about 10 years ago, it was not my idea that he would be my dog, but from the start; he decided his loyalties lay with me

My husband did the work, spent the time with him and dished out the dog food most days. Yet, Dok proved that his built-in matriarchal-canine-society order of things put me as his dominant female and he would be my servant.

So, over the years, we bonded. Taking him for walks in town, to the beach and just for rides in the car. His devotion to being with me was flattering. His size alone made him intimidating to others and a comfort to me.

He was a big chicken really. Would bark loudly when strangers approached but would be cringing in fear and shaking; for several years would actually run AWAY from them.
I still believe if I would have been attacked, Dok would have said,"I'm outta here!!" and left me to my own defenses.

If I was gone from home, he refused to eat until I would return.
Apparently he would mope around depressed (complete with 'puppy-dog eyes') until the minute I would come back; then his whole personality changed, and he would race around with delirious joy and energy. Made me crazy.

So, he loved me. And I loved him... most of the time. I admit; I usually tolerated him and would groan over the dog-hair and mud he left all over the place.

Still; his faithful barking when anyone came on our property always left me feeling safe. I will miss that.
I will miss being the centre of the universe to such a loyal creature.
Even if I didn't deserve it.

Good-bye, Soldier. At ease.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess this means Chance has a buddy in doggy heaven.

Cool blog...

Anonymous said...

ahhh Mary...
what happened to Dok? Was he sick?

I feel your pain...